Personality-Based Design/Arts/Fashion Blogging - new trend?
August 20, 2008 12:02 AM Subscribe
Is there a specific term/genre that defines bloggers such as Gala Darling
, Nubby Twiglet
, Queen Gilda
, Doe Deere
, This is Star
, and Agent Lover
? Has anyone tracked this?
posted by divabat to media & arts (8 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite
I've noticed a few of those sort of blogs recently, sharing similar things in terms of aesthetics and content:
* Young female, using a glamorous pen name
* A mix between personal life, recommendations of products/people, and how-tos based on everyday life (such as How To Be Fabulous)
* Plenty on design, fashion, style, culture, trends
* Blogger likely to be an artist or other creative person
* Promotes the blogger itself as a brand
* "Things I Love Tuesday" (possibly started by one of those bloggers)
* Similar layouts
A few of these blogs cross-link to each other, but other than that I don't see anything that suggests they're part of a collective or tight group of friends. Rather, it seems to be a growing sub-trend of blogging, and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this and/or done some research on these blogs.
They're like camgirls in the sense that there's quite a bit of voyeurism into their personal lives, but it's not constant. They're seen as icons and inspiration, and have enough followers to even sell products with their branding (AFAIK Gala Darling lives on Adsense income). When I was a teen, random-content-heavy personal sites, often with vector illustrations, were the Big Thing; this seems like an outgrowth of that.
Is there a name for this? Does anyone else fit this aesthetic?