Help me choose the appropriate social networking / content management tool.
July 2, 2008 12:11 PM Subscribe
Someone at work is trying to create a professional social network with some content management requirements. I have a desired feature list in hand but don't know what product to recommend... can you help?
posted by RossWhite to technology (9 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
Here's the list of features that my colleague would like to implement:
- Allows users to register and join without approval
- List of users
- Ability to connect with other members (add friends)
- Share contact information, professional affiliations, research interests
- User contributions to the site are listed in the user profile
- Threaded discussions with user avatar
- “Who’s online” feature
- Internal messaging
- Ability to send email to all registered users
- Customizable interface (preferably CSS)
- Ability to assign user roles (administrator, contributor, etc.)
- Ability to post files, news, links, and other content (for certain user roles)
- RSS feeds
- Printer-friendly version of content
- Ability to email content from the site
- Site chat feature to interact with users currently online
- Grouping features
- Post photos
Ideally, we'd be looking for a hosted app or an app built on php/mySQL that we could host ourselves.