Doing a bit on the side ...
November 30, 2007 8:10 PM Subscribe
I'm a coder, with skills in python, ruby, rails, java, etc. I've recently started getting offers for (and accepting) short-term contract work in addition to my longer-term dayjob contract. However, I'm unsure what the going rate is for the work I do - how much should I charge on a per-hourly basis? How does this vary with respect to the length of the contract (eg, a day, a week, a month, six months)?
posted by ysabet to Work & Money (5 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
- I live in Australia
- some clients are international
- I believe I do not have to account for GST, superannuation etc until I reach a certain level of turnover; however, I plan to check this with my accountant
- I have an ABN, registered as a sole trader
- There is a drastic skills shortage around here
- I'm reasonably well-known in the local open source scene