Why is the dryer half as full as when I started it?
August 7, 2007 10:22 PM Subscribe
Sometime during the last hour or so, half of my clothes have disappeared from my building's communal laundry facilities. What do I do?
posted by ArgentCorvid to human relations (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Into the dryer went ~8 polos, 2 pairs of jeans, a couple of T-shirts, and some socks & underwear. Out came 4 polos, 1 pair of jeans, 1 T-shirt and not as many of the others.
- My building has 12 apartments in it (4 per story, 3 stories), with 2 washers and 2 dryers on the middle floor in a common area.
- There are 2 other similar buildings in the immediate area.
- Access to the buildings isn't controlled.
- The buildings are in a residential neighborhood, & not a crime-intense area
- I don't know most of the other Tenants in the building except the neighbor across the hall, and the neighbors immediately above and below. Most of the residents here seem to keep to themselves and I rarely see most of them, so unless I catch the person wearing my stuff, I couldn't even guess who did it. None of the tenants I know seem to be a likely suspect.
- I do have renter's insurance, but haven't checked if it's worth it to submit a claim. (probably not)
- No, I wasn't watching, the dryer takes ~1 hour to run.
- I haven't done anything (that I know of anyway) to piss off the neighbors.
I'm kind of at a loss, here. Do I call the police? Knock on doors until I find the apartment with a pile of my clothes in it? It's midnight here. I'll probably call the Landlord in the morning, but what else can I do, other than make a trip to the mall?