Let's creep again like we did last summer / let's creep again like we did last year

The dark months are approaching: it's late October and it's time to be scared, but not by your typical Halloween spooks and haunts. Help me discover all that's disconcerting and downright disquieting online (and possibly off).

Similar versions of this question have been asked a few times before, but as the internet grows so does the amount of weird crap on it.

Ultimately, I'm interesting in compendiums of the creepy, such as the site featured in this post or other similar blogs, articles, and forums. I'll definitely take being pointed towards one-off weirdness, though.

There's not a set type of media I'm interested in - I'm just looking for the best of the best to fill up my bookmark bay for nights when I should be fast asleep, but am very much not. Videos, lengthy & involved stories, mysterious web sites, pictures, fucked-up audio recordings - anything that fits into the categories I've listed in my tags over on the right of this page. There has to be a ton of material out there that I've missed that hasn't been linked to in the threads I mentioned above and that will send chills down my spine. Where is it?
posted by item to Media & Arts (26 answers total) 73 users marked this as a favorite

The NoSleep section on reddit has creepy/disturbing stories (of varying quality)
posted by Captain_Science at 9:33 AM on October 24, 2012 [4 favorites]

Oh please please please read the Penpal series that 1000Vultures posted to r/nosleep. It's also a book now.
posted by specialagentwebb at 9:42 AM on October 24, 2012

I think Limbo is one of the coolest, creepiest things I've seen in a while, and I'm not a horror/scary guy. Couldn't stop playing it though. There's a downloadable demo, I believe, before you buy. : )
posted by bitterkitten at 9:43 AM on October 24, 2012

Ted's Caving Page creeped me out the first time I read it.
posted by essexjan at 9:43 AM on October 24, 2012 [2 favorites]

Paranormal Phenomena
Talk Paranormal
Top Paranormal Websites
Unexplained Mysteries
Perception 9

Allmystery.de is a great source, but it's in German.

Also, this just came in.
posted by MinusCelsius at 9:44 AM on October 24, 2012

slenderman.
posted by sexyrobot at 9:52 AM on October 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

I recommend the first installment of Choose Your Own Adventure by Committee (by Mefi's own shakespeherian). In particular, the first story, which you can read in a .txt file (linked from the FPP), creeped me out plenty.

Also, guys, there's rumblings of a new story soon!
posted by purpleclover at 9:53 AM on October 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

Wikipedia Articles to Read in the Dark, from The Hairpin.
posted by Ziggy500 at 10:02 AM on October 24, 2012 [2 favorites]

An audio recording made on November 18, 1978, at the Peoples Temple compound in Jonestown, Guyana immediately preceding and during the mass suicide or murder of over 900 members of the cult.
posted by Egg Shen at 10:07 AM on October 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

The SCP Foundation is a mixed bag, but there's some genuinely unsettling stuff in there. The top-rated pages list is a good place to start.
posted by Sokka shot first at 10:24 AM on October 24, 2012 [5 favorites]

If you enjoy H.P. Lovecraft, turn off all the lights and play Anchorhead, an old-school interactive fiction text adventure.

If you're not familiar with H.P. Lovecraft (or even if you are) listen to the full story readings listed in the lefthand column of the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast's Website.
posted by usonian at 10:26 AM on October 24, 2012 [2 favorites]

Hmm. Yes. There's a couple things here I haven't seen. I never look at Reddit unless someone explicitly links to something, so I'll check that subsite out. I've had a copy of the Jonestown tapes for years and that's exactly my cup of punch.
posted by item at 10:27 AM on October 24, 2012

Murder Motels has some great stuff.

I'm pretty sure you could give yourself the heebie jeebies perusing the cases in Wikipedia's List of Unsolved Deaths.
posted by Ghostride The Whip at 10:42 AM on October 24, 2012

r/creepy on reddit is also disturbing.
posted by lohmannn at 10:50 AM on October 24, 2012

2nding SCP.
posted by Aizkolari at 11:05 AM on October 24, 2012

The Daywalt Fear Factory has good stuff. I love Bedfellows.
posted by crush-onastick at 11:11 AM on October 24, 2012

Most of Katy Towell's Childrin r skary stuff is beautiful, creepy, and sad but The Mockingbird Song is an excellent place to start. (Don't miss her current 31 Days of Halloween art, current on the blog.)
posted by Lyn Never at 11:44 AM on October 24, 2012

I'm going to take a second to shamelessly promote my own MeFi post from last year, for a radio play called "The Thing on the Fourble Board". Iridic's comment, further down in the thread, has more great recommendations.
honestly that comment would've probably made a better FPP than mine but anyway
posted by Monster_Zero at 12:23 PM on October 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

I don't know how "creepy" it is, but the Nine Inch Nails ARG for Year Zero has a lot of pretty great "freak you out if you actually think about it for any length of time" stuff going on. I know it certainly freaked me the fuck out when I was participating in it while it was unfolding.

One of my favorite bits of that is this website. Load it up, enter your name and phone number and pay attention to what the password is. I've freaked a couple of people out by showing them that without them having any knowledge of the rest of the ARG.
posted by hippybear at 1:31 PM on October 24, 2012

Have you seen my website, MicroHorror.com?
posted by Faint of Butt at 1:34 PM on October 24, 2012

http://heptagram.co
posted by LC at 2:18 PM on October 24, 2012

Pictures of submerged shipwrecks, particularly submarine wrecks, creep me out.
posted by rmd1023 at 2:42 PM on October 24, 2012

Ooh, there's (quite variable in quality) creepypasta! And more creepypasta!
posted by jlibera at 4:27 PM on October 24, 2012

« Older Help deciphering Pinterest and...   |  I'm in the process of emptying... Newer »