4.5 hours between Gatwick arrival and Heathrow departure. Help me make it work.
July 5, 2007 1:02 PM Subscribe
4.5 hours between Gatwick arrival
and Heathrow departure
. U.S. citizen, experienced traveler, only a carryon bag -- but first time transferring Gatwick to Heathrow. Help me plan as precisely as I can to maximize my chances of making this work.
posted by allterrainbrain to travel & transportation (23 answers total)
On Friday, the 10th of August: Arriving LGW at 09:10, on USAir. Departing LHR at 13:40, on JAT (Yugoslav Air) to Belgrade.
• Definitely can't afford a private car.
• Bringing one bag (and nothing else) that meets all current carryon standards for Heathrow and for JAT.
• Have never had any problem immediately clearing customs, and my passport has more than a year left before expiration. Have never needed any secondary inspection at security.
• JAT "suggests" check-in two hours ahead -- and closes gates 30 minutes ahead -- of departure time.
• National Express coach is reported to take 80 minutes from the South Terminal of LGW (where USAir is) to LHR, *not* counting any traffic delays. From what I can tell, some traffic delays are almost inevitable on a weekday morning.
I'm looking to confirm that National Express is my best option (am I missing any better possibilities?), and looking for any suggestions re. how to make beelines straight from Customs to National Express to the JAT terminal at LHR.
And: Should I reserve a National Express ticket in advance? (If I do and then my Gatwick arrival is late, causing me to miss the NE departure I reserved, do I lose that reservation and that money, or is my reservation moved ahead to the next available coach?)