West Coast Road Trip
June 14, 2007 10:19 AM Subscribe
I'm preparing for a road trip that will take me up the California Coast, Oregon Coast, Washington (Seattle) and into Canada at least as far North as Whistler. Can you provide specific recommendations on where to stop? What motels should I stay at? What's interesting to see/do/photograph?
posted by willnot to travel & transportation (23 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite
I know there have been a number of threads (1
) on this exact topic. I've read them, and they've all given me great general ideas, but I'm finding it really tough to pick motels, so I'd really appreciate some specific suggestions.
, I like as cheap as I can get while still being generally clean, modern and comfortable. Free WiFi is a big plus.
For activities, I like:
- Photography - natural beauty, interesting architecture, crowd candids, interesting wildlife or zoo life -- nothing too kitschy and very little that's too touristy
- Art, especially modern - galleries, museums and places where art is clearly an important fabric of the community
- Hiking and active stuff in nature - beaches, forest trails, urban
I'm leaving on the first Monday in July. So far, here's what I've got:
- Monday (July 2) - Very fast drive North up the 5 to somewhere above San Francisco. I've already seen the stuff south of there, so this is just a power-drive to get me to my starting point (but where? Santa Rosa? Petaluma? Bodega Bay?).
- Tuesday - Leisurely Drive North up the 1 to somewhere in Northern Cal. Avenue of the Giants, Lost Coast, (where to stay/stop and what to do?)
- Wednesday (4th of July) - Leisurely Drive up to Southern OR (Newport?)
- Thursday - Leisurely Drive up to Northern OR (Canon Beach? Lunch at Tillamook ?)
- Friday - easy drive up to Seattle, stay with my parents for the weekend.
- Monday - Vancouver (where to stay, what to do)?
- Tuesday - Vancouver day 2 (what to do?)
- Wednesday - Garibaldi Lake? (where to stay, what to do)
- Thursday - Whistler -- I want to do their zip lines, other than that, where to stay, what to do?
- Friday - back down to Seattle for the weekend
- Trip back down the 5 - probably stopping at Portland, Crater Lake? Maybe Tahoe (if it's worth the detour?)
Anything else not to miss?