Mrs. peeedro and I are planning a trip to New Orleans for the first weekend of Jazz Fest and the following week but leaving New Orleans before the second weekend of Jazz Fest. This is a biggie but any input on the following topics would be appreciated:
• Which performances should we see? We will be there for the first weekend (with a zillion performances scheduled
). Dr. John, Lucinda Williams, Percy Sledge, and T-Bone Burnett are on my short list, but which of the other lesser known, local performers should we see? We like anything that gets the booty shaking; jazz, blues, zydeco, Latin, or rock are great but we're not so excited by R&B, gospel, and soul.
• Jazz Fest is only on the weekends, what should we do during the week while we are down there? We're big on historical, cultural, and natural landmarks as well as good spots for people-watching. We'll have a car and are willing to make a daytrip out of destinations outside of New Orleans.
• We are staying in Madisonville. Is there anything we should know about timing and traffic to get across Lake Pontchartrain?
• Which restaurants should we try? I'm vegetarian and the Mrs doesn't eat seafood so our choices are restricted. Are any of these places
not to be missed?
• We might have a friend along for the ride, he's gay and into the Levi/Leather, country and western, light S&M scenes. Are there any particularly good bars or clubs for him? Bonus points for something straight friendly so we can enjoy a drink while he gets a chance to meet people.
• Above all else, nothing makes us happier than finding a place to drink good beer on the cheap. Does anyone have recommendations for laid-back places to quench our thirst? Of course, we'd be happy to meet any local MeFites at their favorite watering holes or anyone else making the trip down for the festivities.