Questions about type design
January 31, 2004 12:33 PM Subscribe
I want to learn the art of type design. I have fontlab, I have a basic understanding of typography and an even more basic understanding of what makes a glyph. What I mostly lack is a methodology. Inside
is a list of questions, if anyone here has experience with typeface design, please answer them, or tell me why they're the wrong questions.
posted by Grod to media & arts (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
- What are the basic considerations I should keep in mind?
- Is it best to start with any particular character, and derive the basics from it, things like stem width and height, bar width, type of serif (if present) etc.?
- Why are some fonts inherently attractive (real Garamond, not the computer version, Jenson, Univers, Warnock Book etc.)?
- Widths, heights, angles, etc. Are there any accepted rules I should be aware of?
- Hinting and links: what's the difference and when should I use each?
- Color: what makes even color?
- Variation in strokes, how much is to much? Do thick verticals and thin horizontals enhance legibility?
- is there anything else I should be aware of