Sprained my Wrist, But I Can Still Use the Internets
July 6, 2006 12:11 PM Subscribe
Wrist Injury Filter: I sprained my wrist. Help me find an appropriate wrap or treatment.
posted by frogan to health & fitness (5 answers total)
I think I've severely sprained my right wrist doing, of all things, painting the inside of a house. I think I was just gripping the paint roller super-tight and using it for several days and something went funky. At least nothing went "sprong!" It was just stiff and hurting the next day and never stopped. This was approximately 8 weeks ago.
There's never been swelling or discoloration. But I have significantly reduced range of motion and pain when flexing the wrist in every direction or when gripping something tightly (e.g. I cannot open a jar of pickles). I can type and use a mouse just fine, obviously. Advil helps, but not super-well.
Counter-intuitively, putting a tight wrap on the wrist seems to aggravate the injury -- the wrist stiffens even more, so taking the wrap off (e.g. to shower) is intially painful while things loosen up.
* I know many of you will say "see a doctor." You are probably correct. I do not think anything is broken, but I could have a partial tear. I'm concerned that a doctor would merely cast the wrist and fingers for several weeks, and then I'm screwed work-wise and family-wise (although I could be healed). I would like to self-treat this a little while longer, if possible.
* Are there other experiences of having sprains lasting this long?
* Why is wrapping the wrist not working? Am I doing something wrong by wrapping it tightly?
* Are there super-good wrap and/or splint brands you've used?
* Finally, this is not keyboard-induced RSI or carpal tunnel. I've never had that problem and the wrist starting hurting only after the painting incident.