Paid Thinking Time... but what about?
May 18, 2006 10:41 AM Subscribe
I work at a national retail store full-time, and the majority of the time when I'm not working the register it's all very simple stuff like straightening and folding clothes. It only takes maybe 15%* of my focus. I need suggestions for things to think about, mental games, and methods of mental improvement to take up the other 85%.
posted by ElfWord to Education (25 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I don't want every hour I work to be just a wasted hour of my life(getting paid notwithstanding), so I'd like to find some way to at worst entertain myself, at best improve myself. Some info about my mental strengths/weaknesses:
I'm creative, knowledgeable about a lot of random stuff, communicative, and am good with words.
But I'm poor at visualizing, not great with numbers, and my memory is inconsistent.
Final requirement is that it can't use props, since I'll be on the sales floor and can't carry a book or Ouija board around with me.
And no, I'm not on commission, and yes, I always help customers first. A lot of days it's slow though and I just have a lot of freetime.
*Source: M.Y.A.S.S. Database, 2006.