Help me make an 80's country music mix CD.
March 2, 2006 6:09 AM Subscribe
Help me make ND¢'s 80's-ish Country-ish Mix Volume II.
posted by ND¢ to media & arts (29 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My SO and I have a dark sordid history involving mix CD's. I make them for her, she says, "I don't like any of these bands. Why didn't you make a CD with songs I like. I don't want this." I then throw the CD out the window while driving down the highway (we have heat).
However, the other day she says, "I really like your 80's-ish Country-ish mix CD, why don't you make another one of those?" I got very excited, because in my ten year history of making mixes for the fairer sex, I have never gotten a request before. The only problem is that the inspiration well has run dry. I got (almost) nothing! That is where you come in.
Here is the track list for ND¢'s 80's-ish Country-ish Mix Volume I, which I made for the Mefi Music Exchange, but which I also put on my SO's ipod:
1. Fishin' in the Dark - The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
2. All the Gold in California - The Gatlin Brothers
3. Feed Jake - Billy Dean
4. Let Me Be There - Olivia Newton John
5. Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses - Kathy Mattea
6. Lay You Down - Conway Twitty
7. Baby I'm Burning - Dolly Parton
8. I Think I'll Just Stay Here and Drink - Merle Haggard
9. Third Rate Romance - Sammy Kershaw
10. Lonely Women Make Good Lovers - Steve Warner
11. Heavens Just a Sin Away - The Kendalls
12. Silver Wings - Merle Haggard
13. I Believe in Love - Don Williams
The object is really poppy late 70's to early 90's 'country' music. No oldtime, no bluegrass, and no music that is even remotely socially acceptable to listen to: Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle. Cheesy, radio-friendly county-pop is the order of the day, with the added requirement that is has to be mind-blowingly great. The only possible track I have so far is "Lesson in Leaving" by Dottie West. I obviously haven't been listening to 94.3 the country legends enough. So, what do ya got Metafilter? My relationship hangs in the balance.