Mac newbie here.
November 23, 2005 11:11 AM Subscribe
I'm a brand spanking new Mac user, where do I start?
posted by Cosine to computers & internet (45 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I just got a 12" iBook, it's my first Mac since I was a kid and I could use some pointers.
1. What (preferrably free) software is a must for me to add? (I work as a Windows networking admin so I do know my way around well, just not with Macs)
2. How do I make the ibook NOT go to sleep when I close the cover?
3. How can I make the glowing circle of light around the power adapter connection STOP glowing at night?
4. The power adapter seems to get REALLY hot, too hot to touch, is this normal?
5. What websites should I add to my regular browsing for good Mac news, tips and software?
6. Is there no way to light up the keyboard for those after-dark browsing sessions? My Thinkpad does this quite nicely.
7. How the HELL (frustrated) do I maximize a window? I found the button that increases the size to where the OS seems to think it should be but it's often wrong, how can I make it maximize?
8. VNC viewer? I need to view windows machines through VNC, the windows machines run UltraVNC, TightVNC or RealVNC mostly, I tried several Viewers for the Mac (Chicken of the VNC) and they "almost" connect but always drop the connection right away, any Mac VNC gurus out there?
I know these seem like a lot of questions, and trust me I have more, but any help I could get in starting this journey would be much appreciated.