For the first time in my life I am trying to rock my natural curls. This is not going well. Please help me make this work. I think I'm doing this all wrong and making dumbass decisions because damn....
I have curly-ish hair. After decades of daily blow drying and straightening I have decided to try to rock the natural curls to try to reduce the amount of damage and to speed up my morning routine. It has been three months since I abandoned my flat iron, and the results are... varied. And very frustrating. My under-hair curls perfectly in nice fat ringlets with little to no effort. The top hair needs a significant coaxing to curl. Some days it cooperates and my hair looks nice
, other days it is a horrific laugh-worthy disaster (like this
.. taken just now). I have some friends saying how people pay money to have volume like mine, and other people saying how the 80's called and they want their hair back.
Double extra negative (and possibly unrelated to the switch to curly, but still) I have started to have problems with dandruff, which is gross and annoying, but it also seems to necessitate that I shampoo every day. I have been using Head and Shoulders, which has not really helped. I'm going to abandon that starting tomorrow, going back to Infusium, but now starting to use Nizoral twice a week to see if that doesn't fix things.
So, my question is:
How the eff do I coax my hair in to curling better? Why can't I keep the frizzies at bay?! Why won't my hair on top cooperate?!?!? I want to stop being an 80's music video reject and just a nice, normal looking curly hair'd lady. And frankly, I feel like I MUST be doing something wrong since so many sources on the interwebs describe curly haired people being able to wash their hair only a couple times a week instead of daily. How the eff do they get away with that??
And just for reference, here is what I do now:
0. Wake up every morning with something akin to a rat's nest. Frizzy floofy hair everywhere despite having tied it up in a folded ponytail to sleep in.
1. shower every morning, shampooing roots, rinse thoroughly.
2. condition entire length of hair. To rinse out conditioner I flip my head upside down and rinse it out that way, combing it with a wide tooth shower comb, just to get everything in line, if you know what I mean.
3. turn off water then gently scrunch up hair with some leave in conditioner on my hands. Mostly I'm just squeezing some of the excess water out. Hair now in big clumps of curls.
4. Out of the shower, head still upside town, I gently scrunch in some hair pudding and then "plop" (lay my upside down hair on a towel then sort of collect the rest of the towel so that it keeps my hair in place.
5. Hair stays "plopped" in my towel while I get dressed and eat breakfast. Probably 15 minutes at the most.
6. head upside down again, towel off, I use a diffuser and try to dry my hair out a bit, scrunching very gently while I do this. My hair is still in the big curl clumps at this point.
7. Once my hair is semi-dry in the clumps I give my head a bit of a shake/flip which then breaks the clumps in to numerous smaller curls. I then diffuse some more, scrunching carefully again.
8. The end.
- tried the no-poo. Epic badness. My scalp freaked the fuck out and I frankly just didn't feel clean.
- tried different towel types for the plopping - terry, microfiber, t-shirt - but didn't notice much of a difference