Help me find political and economic simulation games for 12-16 y.o.
August 27, 2014 8:40 AM Subscribe
As part of our schools enrichment program, I'd like to do an intro to global politics and economics for 12-16 year old students. As a culminating activity, I'd like to run a few different simulations to give the students a chance to put their new knowledge to work. More snowflake specifics inside.
- Multiplayer - able to support 10-50 kids. We'll probably have 50 kids total so games that support 10-20 would end up with multiple games running concurrent. Not ideal, but doable.
- Strong economic/political element, preferably with a very broad scope/feeling.
- Challenging beyond what you'd give an "average" 12-16 year old student. We are at a very academically rigorous college prep school so the students abilities comparable to what most people would consider HS/freshman college level.
- Graphical representation of what's going on - a lot of these kids play games like Agricola, Puerto Rico, etc. so they are familiar with maps, counters, etc. Games that are too abstract may not engage them as well as something more tangible.
- Free/cheap - we're in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars range for budget.
- Start-to-end time of no longer than 6 hours - we'll have the students for two hours a day for a few weeks, so time is available but finite.