Simple vegetarian weight loss recipes
August 20, 2014 5:45 PM Subscribe
I'm a vegetarian who is trying to lose weight. Unfortunately, I never bothered to gain cooking skills so I don't really know what normal dieters do to feed themselves during the week. Recipe suggestions, por favor?
I'm 25 years old, but I've never managed to get the whole "cooking" thing down. I think this is mainly due to lack of trying. Almost every meal I have is either eaten out, frozen, or otherwise very simple (involves no more preparation than putting together a sandwich, for instance). I am a vegetarian, and fortunately I live in a vegetarian-friendly city so eating this way has not been difficult. However, I am interested in doing more cooking and learning more about how normal people live (in particular, people who are trying to lose weight like I am).
I'm pretty set on breakfast plans already, so I'd like to hear your suggestions for healthy recipes that I can eat for dinner or take with me to work for lunch (a refrigerator and microwave are available). They need to meet the following criteria:
- Vegetarian. I am not a huge fan of eggs or mushrooms, but just about anything else is fair game.
- Diet-friendly. I don't have any special dietary restrictions (e.g. gluten-free), but I want to keep calories low while still incorporating healthy fats, proteins, and plenty of vegetables. The easier it is for me to keep track of calories, the better.
- Simple to prepare. I have very little cooking experience, so I need to start small. Also I don't care if it actually involves "cooking," it can just be "preparing."
- Not very expensive. I plan to go grocery-shopping once a week but I don't feel comfortable spending more than like, $50-$60 for the week (bearing in mind that I don't really shop for Saturdays since that's my day off dieting/everything).
- Serves one person. I don't mind repeating meals throughout the week though, so maybe this part isn't as important.
I expect someone will mention slow cookers, so I will take this opportunity to say that I have one. I haven't used it yet though! But please don't limit your answers to slow-cooker recipes. Also I'm not really looking for book recommendations...I bought that Mark Bittman book but I was overwhelmed by all the equipment he was telling me to buy so I ended up selling it. I'd prefer ideas that come directly from your noggin.
General, non-recipe advice related to everything I've said here is also welcome.