Rock, meet hard place.
June 25, 2014 10:26 AM Subscribe
I have no idea what to do. Eight months ago, I accepted an offer from Job A. Job A is limited in duration. I have a standing offer from Job B, which I am free to accept after Job A ends. Both jobs are in the same field, albeit geographically remote from one another. Sounds great, right? Well, just you wait.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (21 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I've just found out - 2.5 months before I'm slated to start at Job A - that Job A requires I go through the security clearance process. (During Job A hiring, this was described merely as a background check.) Based on my research, I have serious doubts about my ability to ultimately be granted a clearance. I absolutely WILL NOT lie during the clearance process.
It is a near-certainty that I will not receive an interim clearance (the preliminary version you receive while the in-depth investigation occurs). I have no idea what will happen at Job A if/when I am denied the interim. As my hiring paperwork said my job was contingent upon a favorable "background check," my guess is that I would be fired.
Being fired from Job A would be horrible not only for professional reasons, but also for personal ones: I am (was?) planning a cross-country move to work in Job A. So, if all of the above occurs, I'll be unemployed and low on cash (not to mention humiliated).
If Job A were any other job, I'd renege and call Job B right away. But! It gets worse. The near-unanimous view in my field is that it is terrible, horrible, very-ultra-mega bad form to renege on a job like Job A. And!! Job B knows about Job A; if I call Job B, Job B will definitely ask me what happened with the whole Job A situation.
In sum, my options - both of which will damage my professional reputation - are:
(1) Continue planning my cross-country move for Job A despite the strong likelihood that I will be fired either immediately upon being denied an interim clearance, or, if I am permitted to stay on even after that occurs, upon being conclusively denied a clearance;
(2) Renege on Job A, which would require providing some sort of explanation to Job A regarding the reneging (how would I even go about this?) and providing some sort of explanation to Job B regarding why I am no longer going to Job A (again, how?).
Other potentially relevant facts:
- Job B also requires a major, albeit not cross-country, move;
- Job B pays more;
- Job A is in my preferred market, which is a small market in my already-small field.
What on earth do I do? Any perspective on any part of this is welcomed.