How can I rid my house of laundry soap / softener odors and allergens?
June 25, 2014 10:39 AM Subscribe
I need help freeing my house / furniture of evil chemicals, because I seem to be allergic to damn near everything. I am particularly interested in ozone generators or other beyond the norm solutions - because we have tried so much already!
posted by SpookyFish to Home & Garden (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have developed bad (mostly eye) allergies to almost all fragrances, particularly those in laundry products like Tide and Downy. We have moved to using all unscented products and this had made home somewhat of a sanctuary from the inescapable hell of the outside world. However, a friend of my wife recently came over and the allergen from her clothes seemed to leech into a couple pieces of fabric furniture and we just can't get rid of it! It even transfers from the chair to the clothes of those who sit on it, then those clothes start bothering me! Actually, the scent has noticeably faded but whatever causes the allergic reaction has not. We have tried all manner of cleaners to no avail. I'm ready to get rid of the chairs and buy new stuff but these scents are everywhere and I feel like all that will do is help until the next friend comes over. Therefore I am hoping to find some way to rid the furniture / house of whatever it is that bothers me.
We have multiple HEPA filters which have historically been helpful but don't seem to be doing a lot for this issue. I have an allergist and have tried many different eye drops and other drugs so I don't need advice about that. The house is literally brand new, so there may be off-gassing from carpets and paints and etc, but nothing bothered me the first month after we moved in.
I am considering getting an ozone generator and running that for a while, but I can't seem to find a straight answer on the safety and effectiveness. Some people swear by them, but the EPA doesn't agree. I also wonder if it is a safety issue even if I run it only while not in the house (we have a 3-month old).
Any thoughts about the O3 generator or other out-of-the-norm ideas would be greatly appreciated!