Springpad, I hardly knew ye...
May 25, 2014 8:21 AM Subscribe
After struggling with Evernote, I finally found my notetaking, task-tracking, save-everything soulmate in Springpad. But now it's going out of business! Please help me find a feature-rich alternative?
posted by overeducated_alligator to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 27 users marked this as a favorite
Absolutely completely essential:
- Platform independence. I use Windows at work and home, but have an iPhone, so no Mac-only or iOS-only. I need to be able to manage all my stuff in a web app or a desktop app in addition to on mobile.
- syncing, obviously
What I loved about Springpad:
- built-in taxonomy for lots of different types of items: tasks, checklists, events, notes, pictures, books, recipes, etc.
- lots of different ways to organize, including saved searches, tags, multiple notebooks, sort by item type, etc.
- ability to sort items manually. This was great for me because sometimes I rearrange my todo list by arbitrary criteria, not just by what's newest or last changed.
- option to look at things visually and even arrange them freeform in a bulletin board/kanban
What drives me crazy about Evernote:
- the iOS app and the web/desktop apps have very different ways of working
- entering notes in mobile is slow and frustrating, and entering tags is even more annoying. You can't just tag by including a #hashtag in the body of the note.
- you can't filter by whether something is a task (and due to the above issues, tagging something as ".task" takes way too long)
Is there a program that can fill the gap, or a better way of making the most of Evernote? I do use Drafts on iOS and find that helpful, but maybe I'm not using it awesomely enough.
I don't mind paying for something if it's worth it.