Does this type of online/mobile news service exist?
May 21, 2014 9:17 AM Subscribe
I'm looking for what I can only describe as the Sunday paper of online news, but with significantly fewer stories, "delivered" to me once or twice a week. More criteria inside.
posted by Defenestrator to Technology (6 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I'm looking for what I can only describe as the Sunday paper of online news, but with significantly fewer stories, "delivered" to me once or twice a week. I'm having trouble finding something that is right.
The perfect candidate would look something like this:
- Sent to me via email or mobile notification once a week (maybe twice a week).
- Contains a dozen or so of the top stories of the previous week. The stuff that I should know about to be an informed citizen of the world and the US.
- The stories linked within provide all of the context I would need to have a general understanding of the news item and any related information. It shouldn't read like a breaking news story - it should be more like a synopsis.
- The stories/synopses don't have to be super short and simplified. I don't necessarily need something like Circa and would probably prefer something with more meat.
- Nothing else. I don't need or want a place to go check regularly.
- Obviously less bias/spin is better.
- Bonus points if there are videos and photos to supplement the text
- Super bonus points if there are links to stuff that would help me read or learn more if the story interests me.
- Super mega bonus points if it contains local news (although I've never seen this done very well outside of local papers).
I've realized that I've become almost completely uninformed. I don't have cable or network TV and I've slowly lost interest in checking the news online every day. I don't want to put the effort or time into being constantly plugged in, but I still want to have a good understanding of what's going on in the world. News really doesn't happen that quickly and I don't think these two desires are mutually exclusive, but I can't find anything that supports this style of news consumption.
Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!