Font ID: GATOR$

I haven't had any luck identifying this through the WhatTheFont! automagical service nor the Identifont step-by-step quiz so now I bring it to you. What's the typeface used in this old GATOR$ sign?
posted by komara to Media & Arts (5 answers total)

It isn't a typeface, it's a logotype. That G and R don't exist in any sans-serif font I know of.
posted by zadcat at 10:53 PM on May 18

I agree, it's not a font because the A, T seems to be quite different from the R.
posted by TWinbrook8 at 6:48 AM on May 19

Well, it's probably more like a combination of a couple of different faces. The G and R appear to be from one typeface (though it is possible they are two different faces), and the A, T, O and S are from another. The S looks to have been turned into a dollar sign manually, rather than using a typographic $, which leads me to believe this sign was cobbled-together by the sign shop.

How old is this sign? That would help date the type better.
posted by Thorzdad at 7:23 AM on May 19

No idea on the sign date. It was a kind of dollar store chain here in New Orleans back before Katrina.

Thanks for all the input so far. I'm going to leave this open on the hopes that someone identifies some of the component typefaces but I'm glad to know I wasn't nuts for not being able to identify it as a single typeface.
posted by komara at 7:26 AM on May 19

Have you tried posing it in the WhatTheFont forums? It's a real longshot anyone will identify it, but it doesn't hurt to try.
posted by Thorzdad at 7:31 AM on May 19

« Older If you had a multivariate equa...   |  I'm back on fraxiparine for a ... Newer »