Injecting heparin tricks and tips?
May 19, 2014 1:51 AM Subscribe
I'm back on fraxiparine for a trial run before warfarin, and possibly because of my other medication changes, I'm noticing changes. Last time, I just did the clockface around belly button injections and got big bruises with very little bleeding. Now I have to inject twice as often, and the injection mark bleeds a lot. My doctor and nurse instructions are slightly conflicting and I have specific questions.
posted by viggorlijah to Health & Fitness (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
1. I know I'm not supposed to inject into a bruised site, but what happens when I run out of non-bruised areas on my stomach? How bruised is not okay?
2. Alcohol swabs - yes or no? Some of the literature says yes, some says normal clean skin as alcohol can toughen the skin.
3. Put the cap back on the needle before putting it in the disposal box, or no cap?
4. I've got blood on the waistband of my clothes. Can I put bandaids over all the tiny injection sites or is it better to leave them uncovered? It's a pinprick of blood, but it's hours of steadily bleeding (which yay, no clotting) Is there an alternative as the toddler looooves to pull off bandaids and they irritate my skin?
5. Did anyone inject other than the stomach area? I need an intra-muscular area to repeatedly puncture.