Help me find a pair of novels set in the future with magic.

Trying to find a pair of novels set in the near future North America that I read sometime between 1990 and 2004 approximately. The "big idea" is that neopagan magic "returns" (or at least everyone believes it does, and acts accordingly) with the millennium. The protagonist of one novel is pregnant with the next world spiritual leader. In one scene, a prophet yells at her, "you're full of fish!" Another novel with the same setting (perhaps the same novel) involved a conspiracy and had a genderqueer magical cyberpunk/hacker as a minor character. I remember them as similar to Galveston by Sean Stewart but I'm pretty certain they're not by Stewart. It's not Bone Dance or DeLint, and they had nothing to do with Shadowrun. Help appreciated. They're probably not all that great, but the pair were striking enough that a few things stick out.
posted by CBrachyrhynchos to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

It's been a long, long time since I read it, but I think you are looking for Rachel Pollack's Unquenchable Fire, which has a sequel.
posted by Monsieur Caution at 6:06 PM on April 3 [2 favorites]

Yes, that's it. Thank you.
posted by CBrachyrhynchos at 6:55 PM on April 3

« Older Anybody know where the photo f...   |  Recently I bought a pair of re... Newer »