Best strategies for biking in Orkney and Shetland?
February 14, 2014 4:46 PM Subscribe
We'd like to spend a week each in Orkney and Shetland this (late August/early September). We love bikes, photography, historical monuments/museums. What are we not thinking of/what would you recommend?
posted by bitter-girl.com to Travel & Transportation around England (7 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Most cottage rentals are 1 week minimums so we're looking at a week in each. We plan to rent bikes when we arrive.
* where are the best places to stay that are central? Assuming Kirkwall and Lerwick. We plan to explore on our rental bikes as much as possible.
* how are the roads, cycling wise? At home I prefer a heavy upright Dutch-style bike but I assume I won't have a lot of choice at the rental places.
* is this a good time of year to go, weather-wise? I assume it won't be raining much. We don't get cold easily. Will a light jacket suffice?
* what's don't-miss photo-wise? For me, puffins, Neolithic sites, wildflowers. Anything in particular we might not know about?
* Food recommendations for local specialties we might not know about?
* Should we rent phone card sims at the airport, or?
Any other input is welcome! I'd like to plan as much of the logistics as possible beforehand so we can just relax and ride around looking at things!
Thanks in advance!