"We wanna get loaded."

I've always had a thing for songs which sample snatches of movie or television dialogue. This question covered similar material, but I'm not specifically looking for remixes that appeared on an affiliated movie's soundtrack.

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:

Kowalski - Primal Scream (and Loaded)
The Cat's Pajamas - Isobel Campbell
Depth Charge - Shaolin Buddha Finger

More, please! Any genre is good!
posted by The Card Cheat to Media & Arts (45 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

"I Am The Walrus" is supposed to have some snippets from a BBC radio performance of KING LEAR.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 8:08 AM on February 7

Happiness is a Warm Gun- Tori Amos - On album To Venus and Back- snippets of speeches by gun advocate and speech from George H. Bush.
posted by harperdrew at 8:12 AM on February 7

"Scooby Snacks" - Fun Lovin Criminals (samples Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction)
posted by julthumbscrew at 8:15 AM on February 7 [3 favorites]

Michael Jackson - Threatened is built around Rod Serling's Twilight Zone dialogue.
posted by girlmightlive at 8:16 AM on February 7

Guns N' Roses Civil War samples dialogue from "Cool Hand Luke."
posted by mattbucher at 8:19 AM on February 7

Here's a list of 1000+ dialogue samples from movies/TV/etc, and the songs they were sampled in. Most of them are industrial music. Enjoy!
posted by Jairus at 8:23 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

Hot Doggie--Colourbox

I used to know all the samples, but I've long since killed those brain cells. One is from Lifeforce.
posted by crush-onastick at 8:27 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

Emergency Broadcast Network did tons of this in the 90s. Here's their YouTube channel.

Frontier Psychiatrist by The Avalanches
posted by O9scar at 8:28 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

Saint Etienne's Etienne Gonna Die takes a long quote from House of Games.

Also, Manic Street Preachers' PCP closes with a line from The Dresser.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 8:29 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

VNV Nation's Forsaken samples quotes from Jacob's Ladder.
posted by bfranklin at 8:34 AM on February 7

and of course, Evil Dead is in the Colourbox song; it's also in Skinny Puppy's "Who's Laughing Now" and they used Exorcist dialogue in "Burnt With Water", and Bugs Bunny Dialogue in "Deep Down Trauma Hounds". They used a lot of film/tv dialogue.
posted by crush-onastick at 8:35 AM on February 7

A great disc from the early 90s had samples from The Outer Limits and Psycho, plus others. Young American Primitive has the details.
posted by Rash at 8:37 AM on February 7

The album version (not the single) of Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping" samples Pete Postlethwaite from the movie "Brassed Off."
posted by dlugoczaj at 8:40 AM on February 7

That "loaded" sample also kicks off this Mudhoney song.
posted by Leontine at 8:42 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

Information Society - Pure Energy with Leonard Nimoy's voice from Star Trek
posted by evilmomlady at 8:44 AM on February 7

Which I see is on Jaruis' linked page. Which - whoa. Is probably all of them, ever.
posted by evilmomlady at 8:46 AM on February 7

Not TV or movie dialogue, though it sounds like it:
"Snowball in Hell" by They Might Be Giants' second album, Lincoln, has a bit of dialogue from a 1961 motivation record called "How to Master Time Organization" from Success Motivation Institute, Inc. It's a patch of narrative dialogue, though.
posted by Sunburnt at 8:48 AM on February 7

Selfish, from Ned's Atomic Dustbin's Godfodder LP begins with a snippet from Die Hard: Al Powell, saying "Why don't you wake up and smell what you shoveling?" to Deputy Chief of Police Dwayne T. Robinson.
posted by MoonOrb at 9:02 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

Here's the samples for Frontier Psychiatrist.
posted by maudlin at 9:03 AM on February 7 [2 favorites]

The longer version of Last Time Forever by Squeeze has samples from the Shining.
posted by interplanetjanet at 9:06 AM on February 7

The Smiths/Morrissey solo did this all the time with old movies. The Queen is Dead sampled The L-Shaped Room. Here's a few of the Moz solo samples.
posted by jabes at 9:07 AM on February 7

Pop Will Eat Itself, X, Y and Zee has a quote from Christine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcyTCoChsf8
posted by Brockles at 9:10 AM on February 7

Which - whoa. Is probably all of them, ever.

At least until 2004--it says at the top that that's the last time it was updated.

(I also saw one of my exes right up there as a contributor, which was a little sudden.)
posted by dlugoczaj at 9:19 AM on February 7

Rob Zombie does this a lot; The first answer in this forum post has a pretty comprehensive list.

Perhaps you had better start from the beginning...
posted by TedW at 9:26 AM on February 7

Hamburger Train - Primus
Who's Driving This Thing Anyway? - Four Hundred Years
posted by saladin at 9:35 AM on February 7

Oh, and also:

Dries - Hoover
Liberation Frequency - Refused (at the end, although that may just be from a record, not TV or movie)

Also, I feel like I have a specific memory of a Misfits song that does this, but all I've been able to find after a minute or two of randomly clicking songs in iTunes is the outro to T.V. Casualty, which features a bit of the (I think) I Love Lucy theme song, but no actual dialogue...
posted by saladin at 9:53 AM on February 7

Medicine Show by Big Audio Dynamite samples A Fistful of Dollars and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. List of samples.
posted by fings at 9:56 AM on February 7 [1 favorite]

As you can see, just about anything that came out in the 90's.

Have you seen the HBO show "Dream On". I'd say it's seminal in this trend.
posted by humboldt32 at 10:17 AM on February 7

Half Japanese - My Sordid Past. I've been wondering for years where the samples come from.
Yo La Tengo - Attack on Love
The Eternals - The Energy Field. Some of their other songs too; I post more later if I find them.
Madonna's White Heat has dialog from White Heat.
posted by hydrophonic at 11:16 AM on February 7

Metallica's One uses dialogue from the film Johnny Got His Gun (the extended version anyway, can't remember if the radio edit does).
posted by goo at 11:20 AM on February 7

Bastille's mashup/cover of TLC's No Scrubs with The xx's Angels, No Angels, features snippets of dialogue from Psycho.

Saltillo's A Hair on the Head of John the Baptist has snippets of Hamlet, though I'm not sure which version the audio is from. A Necessary End from the same album also has snippets of Shakespeare (Julius Caesar this time, I think), though again, not sure which versions the audio comes from.
posted by yasaman at 11:38 AM on February 7

CPO - Homicide. Dialogue is from For A Few Dollars More

If you don't have anything against hip hop, I can point you to a ton of other examples.
posted by cashman at 12:32 PM on February 7

Jay-Z & Kanye- Ni**as in Paris contains two dialogue samples from Blades of Glory
posted by mhum at 12:43 PM on February 7

D.A.A.S. - Go To Church.
posted by Pinback at 3:52 PM on February 7

Ride - Cool Your Boots has two samples of dialogue from Withnail & I. "Even a stopped clock gives the right time twice a day" at the beginning, and "cool your boots, man" towards the end.
posted by billiebee at 4:45 PM on February 7

Oh - just saw "any genre is good". Well then!

[Scarface] Geto Boys - Scarface
[Scarface] Geto Boys - City Under Seige
[They Live] Paris, Binary Star
[Willy Wonka] Jay Electronica - Suckas. I don't know which song.
posted by cashman at 5:29 PM on February 7

Greater Than One - I Don't Need God
...samples One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (along with a bunch of other stuff). Which I sorta suspected, but never bothered to track down, knowing that somewhere on the interwebs, someone had done that work already. Thanks for that link, Jarius.

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult used a lot of samples throughout their oeuvre; The Devil Does Drugs samples Sisters of Satan and Gone with the Wind.
posted by Bron at 5:34 PM on February 7

The Union Forever by the White Stripes doesn't directly sample the dialogue, but it does quote extensively from Citizen Kane.
posted by doctord at 7:07 PM on February 7

[Platoon] Prime - Lambslaughter
[Predator] Ice Cube - The Predator
[Peter Jennings tv clips at the end] Ice Cube - I Wanna Kill Sam
[A Rage in Harlem][Peter Jennings tv clips] Ice Cube - Man's Best Friend
[Big Bird on Sesame Street] Ice Cube - A Bird in the Hand
[Do The Right Thing] Ice Cube - Turn Off The Radio
[The Warriors] - Sway & King Tech - The Anthem (Cyrus' speech is the lead-in)

And the trusty ol the-breaks.com has a big list here, for films. I'll just put some of my favorites from there

[Beverly Hills Cop] Boss - Deeper
[Ferris Bueller's Day Off] Gravediggaz - 1-800-SUICIDE
[Full Metal Jacket] 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny
[Untouchables][American Me] Tupac - Death Around the Corner
[Scarface] Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome

And one of the coldest - [Planet of the Apes] Paris - The Devil Made Me Do It

The great thing about these occurring in hip hop is that it's almost impossible to have seen all the films. So you listen to these songs for years, perhaps decades, and then one day you are watching a movie, and all of a sudden everything lines up. The scratchy sounds and voices and sound effects all hit like a crescendo and it ties past and future together. It is like traveling through a time portal. Your mind knows you've never seen this film before, never watched these lines of script get acted out. But you somehow already know them. Moreso than that, you can recite them. You love them. You've said them at all times of the day and night. You watch someone say words and move a certain way and emit sounds and you know exactly what is going to happen. It is like being clairvoyant, or having some kind of extra sense. Like being Bruce Willis in 12 Monkeys, encountering new things you have already experienced. Sooo much fun.

The last time it happened to me was back around October, watching "They Live" for the first time. I had no idea I'd recognize anything, and that dialogue is at the end of the film.

The first time it really hit me was years ago with that Paris sample. I had never seen Planet of the Apes, but I owned the cassette of that Paris album since the early 90's when it came out. So about 10-15 years ago I finally start catching up and watching the classic science fiction movies of years gone by and I watch Planet of the Apes. Well it gets to the end and that quote plays and chills run through my body. Then when the second reveal hit just moments later as the film ended, my mind was blown with some amazing combination of euphoria and nostalgia for something I had just seen for the first time. It was spectacular. I got the other 4 movies from the library and ended up buying the box set.
posted by cashman at 9:00 PM on February 7

[Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids] BDP - Illegal Business "What can we get for 63 cents?"

Also I don't know if it counts, but Ice Cube used the Hindenburg broadcast (and some other television samples) in The Bomb and Jay Electronica used JFK's speech about why we should go to the moon, in The Announcement.
posted by cashman at 9:12 PM on February 7

Aftermath by Tricky samples a line from Blade Runner (Leon saying, "Let me tell you about my mother").
posted by désoeuvrée at 2:55 AM on February 8

Probably not quite like any of the other songs mentioned here: Voice of the Beehive's I'm Shooting Cupid has Mildred Natwick from Dangerous Liaisons saying, "Those who are most worthy of love are never made happy by it" during the musical bridge.
posted by emcat8 at 3:06 PM on February 8

Your Boyfriend Sucks by the Ataris samples A Bronx Tale at the end of the song.
posted by SisterHavana at 11:00 PM on February 8

[Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song] BDP - 30 Cops or More
posted by cashman at 1:02 PM on February 9

just about anything that came out in the 90's

and here's one from the 80's: Shona Laing, (Glad I'm) Not A Kennedy
posted by Rash at 9:57 PM on March 22

« Older What is the difference between...   |  I recently discovered the iden... Newer »