Traditional Chinese Music combined with other styles or genres?

I really like the musical combination of traditional Chinese music and trip hop from DJ Krush's Beyond Raging Waves. I also love this CD by Martin Simpson and Chinese lute player Wu Man. Can you recommend other pairings of what I think is traditional Chinese music, played on traditional instruments that have been combined with other music styles or genres? Extra bonus for trip hop pairings, but I'm open to anything.
posted by Brandon Blatcher to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite

Check out Martin Atkins (from PiL, Killing Joke, NIN, Ministry, Pigface, etc) and the China Dub Soundsystem.
posted by Jairus at 8:26 AM on February 3, 2014

Jah Wobble ought to fit the bill, from what I remember.

Jah Wobble and the Chinese Dub Orchestra
posted by ComfySofa at 8:32 AM on February 3, 2014

Interestingly, Jah Wobble and Martin Atkins were in two separate bands together.
posted by Jairus at 9:00 AM on February 3, 2014

Wu-Force is "kung fu-Appalachian avant folk-rock"
posted by makeitso at 9:09 AM on February 3, 2014

Have you tried the Twelve Girl Band? Freedom is probably their best known track, but I've enjoyed a lot of their pieces. They are twelve women (of course) who play traditional Chinese instruments in decidedly modern pieces.
posted by whatzit at 6:25 PM on February 3, 2014

You may like The Original Shanghai Divas, which remixes of Chinese female singers with hip hop beats.

Waiting 4 U is pretty trippy.

Autumn Evening features the same singer, Bai Kwong.
posted by praiseb at 9:11 PM on February 3, 2014

Although Japanese, the music of the Yoshida Brothers fits the blend of traditional music/instruments with modern Western influences.

Storm is fast-paced and dancey.

Cherry Blossoms in Winter is nicely chill.
posted by praiseb at 9:29 PM on February 3, 2014

Check out the artist Chinese Man. I just found a song called Introduction (Morning Sun) on Spotify and I really like it. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to much else yet. A cursory listen suggests that they borrow samples and sounds from lots of different traditional genres (Middle Eastern, Irish) so it might be the only Chinese-ey sounding song on the album, but that song sounds like what you're looking for.
posted by lettuce dance at 9:47 PM on February 3, 2014

Kou Chou Ching are a Taiwanese hip-hop group that use elements of traditional Taiwanese music in their songs. example
posted by salix at 12:32 AM on February 4, 2014

All of these are great, thank you for taking the time to make these awesome suggestions!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 1:29 PM on February 9, 2014

Ok so I just stumbled across Onra and I'm really really digging it. Remembered this thread and thought I'd share. Ooh, and I just found this gem while searching for a link for the previous track on youtube. Hope you enjoy!
posted by lettuce dance at 2:26 PM on February 17, 2014

« Older I'm quite liking Elgar's "...   |  I'm looking for a cloud-based ... Newer »