Intro to Superhuman Studies, the Novel
January 30, 2014 12:28 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for examples of novels (or stories in other media) that fit a particular mold exemplified by Harry Potter. The basic premise is that the protagonist is living a (usually particularly unpleasant) mundane life when they are unexpectedly contacted by a representative from a secret supernatural (or otherwise fantastic) society and then.... invited to enroll in a school.
1. There must be an actual school with classes and teachers.
2. This school must teach a set of skills or powers so far beyond what is available to the general populace as to seem like magic.
3. The existence of the school, and even the society that supports it, should be largely or entirely secret from the general populace.
1. The protagonist is the only student who was not raised within the secret society that runs the school
2. The protagonist turns out to be far more advanced/gifted than his fellow students
3. The school at first seems to be a utopia to the protagonist, but is then revealed to have a dark underbelly.
Examples I am already aware of:
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
The Magicians (Lev Grossman)
Lexicon (Max Barry)
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
Professor Xavier's School (The X-Men Universe)
The last two are kind of borderline.