Belgium (and Amsterdam?) in May/June
January 29, 2014 7:42 AM Subscribe
Mr. Arkham and I are considering a trip of 5 to 7 days this coming late May/early June. I'm thinking we'll make Brussels our home base, then take one or two day-trips. Questions inside!
posted by JoanArkham to Travel & Transportation around Brussels, Belgium (39 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite
- Any specific hotel recommendations for Brussels? We like smaller boutique places. I'd like to keep it around $150 a night and usually prefer staying in the more "college/hipster" areas vs. the more "high end tourist" areas.
- We're comfortable with public transit in general, but don't have any experience with European rail systems. Mr. Arkham would really like to do Amsterdam as one of the day trips, probably using the high-speed rail. Any advice on when to buy tickets or navigating the system?
- If we wind up coming back late, is the area around the station in Amsterdam safe?
- And what are some good things to do in Amsterdam if we're only there for a day? We like art museums, unusual shops, and used book stores. We're not interested in coffee shops.
- Second day trip: Antwerp? Ghent? I'm especially interested in photographing old architecture and cemeteries.
- Specific recommendations for Brussels? We mostly want to walk around, visit museums, take photos, eat and drink beer. Maybe a bar or club with live local music?
I handled booking our own trip to Istanbul a few years ago, but we just stayed put once we got there. I'm a little intimidated by going city-to-city and country-to-country in a place where I don't speak the language. Any advice appreciated!