accio worldbuilding project
January 25, 2014 4:45 PM Subscribe
I'm working on a worldbuilding project set in the Harry Potter universe that incorporates Bengali culture and history. What can I do and what resources can I consult to make this project awesome? (Mild spoiler for Pottermore inside.)
posted by divabat to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I've been interested in the worldbuilding aspect of the Harry Potter verse since I started reading the books, and just found the perfect in about a week ago when I played with Pottermore and saw that J.K.Rowling had included my actual last name, Shafiq, into a list of pureblood families.
I got inspired to start a writing project to give some backstory on the Shafiqs,starting with the fact that South Asian and Arabic names tend to work differently than Western names (I made Shafiq more of a hereditary title). The project is written from the point of view of a modern day descendent who's just discovered this list and is starting to learn about her history.
My family is Bangladeshi, so I'm using Bengali culture and history as my base; however, I know not much.about it, so it's as much a research project for me as it is for my protagonist. Indeed, part of this project is somewhat autobiographical - besides uncovering elements of Bengali magic culture, she's also grappling with feeling culturally transient and not belonging anywhere.
So far I'm getting support from my mum, who is also a Harry Potter fan and is pretty tickled about this whole thing, but I could use some help elsewhere too. I've been seeing a lot of HP worldbuilding on Tumblr and have been riffing off that, but information on Bengali mythology and folklore is thin on the ground.
* What are some good resources on Bengali folklore and mythology, particularly anything written in English (since I can't read Bengali)?
* What other blogs, Tumblrs, etc are doing great work on HP worldbuilding? I was inspired by Lives and Lies of Wizards and found a couple of others, but a lot of them are centered on Hogwarts or Marauders era and I'd love to find stuff that's international, contemporary, post-Hogwarts.
* Where does the HP fandom hang out nowadays? I haven't been active in fandom for a while and want to find readers and feedback, but my cursory look seems like it's all cliqueish now.
* Where can I find good photos or art of South Asians that aren't just them in ethnic dress for a fashion spread?
* I anticipate that as I build this Shafiqverse further I'll end up retconning things. How do you best address retconning in a fan piece like this?