How to have a great time in New Orleans?
December 6, 2013 2:58 PM Subscribe
I’m travelling with my significant other to New Orleans between December 29th and January 3rd, so we are looking for recommendations (food, bars, entertainment, etc.) Specific details and questions below the fold!
posted by turniphead to Travel & Transportation around New Orleans, LA (6 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I booked a room through Airbnb in the Mid-City neighborhood (located about 2 blocks from Canal Street). We will be driving from Illinois, but would prefer to walk or use public transit when in the city proper. This will be my second time in New Orleans, but my partner’s first. I have to admit, though, that I am not super familiar with the area.
- Not all that interested in Bourbon Street. What exciting things can we do on New Year’s Eve? Where can we find live music? Do we need reservations?
- What is the best way to get around? I remember using the canal street trolley to get to the French Quarter, but how can we get to the Garden District?
- We were thinking about visiting the Garden District on New Year’s Day. What is open/worth looking at? Do you have a better recommendation?
- What’s the weather like this time of year?
Things we like/are looking for:
- New Year’s Eve suggestions
- Vegetarian food – What restaurants would you recommend? Where can we find great (veg) red beans and/or gumbo z'herbes? I've had good experiences at Green Goddess and Carmo in the past. Added layer of difficulty: I’m allergic to cow’s milk.
- Live music venues
- Non-touristy bars
- Interesting places, museums, landmarks, cemeteries, etc.
- Walking tours – which are worth it?
- Favorite parts of the city? Other really cool things?