At least mold won't grow...?
October 17, 2013 7:06 PM Subscribe
I just noticed what appeared to be a large water leak on the drywall of the ceiling. Upon further inspection, we discovered that somehow a large bottle of industrial strength bleach had leaked in the attic (please don't point out what a bad idea it is to store large bottles of industrial strength bleach in the attic... we had no idea it was up there and have never seen the bottle before tonight).
posted by raspberrE to home & garden (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I know the usual procedure for wet drywall is to cut it out and replace it because mold will grow if there has been a significant leak. What are the chances we can just let this dry and be ok? There doesn't appear to be structural damage (yet) - the drywall isn't caved in around the screws, it's not bulging or drooping, except along the seam where the tape is bubbling. There is a little patch where the texture is off (we have smooth drywall, and this spot is bumpy now) but mostly it's just a huge yellowish wet patch. The drywall feels pretty firm when you touch it.
Do you think we can get away with letting it dry and just scraping and spackling the funky-textured part, or are we risking something terrible (mold invasion, ceiling collapse, spontaneous combustion) by not cutting out half the ceiling and replacing? The affected area is about 5 ft x 2 ft but the bubbly section is only about 8 in x 18 in.