What simple, self-hosted blogging platform do I want?
October 6, 2013 5:40 PM Subscribe
I'm sick of Wordpress and all it's cruft. What self-hosted blogging platform should I be looking at in 2013? Details within.
posted by chrisamiller to computers & internet (14 answers total) 43 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a long time blogger looking for a new platform. I cut my teeth over a decade ago, using a self-written perl script, then switched to Moveable Type, and now have been running Wordpress for a few years. I'm fed up with the constant need to upgrade, the feature bloat, and complicated options that are really only applicable if you're using it as a CMS (I'm not). I'd like to simplify.
Here's a list of features I'd like:
1) Self-hosted. I want my content to live on my site.
2) Dead simple interface. I don't need all the bells and whistles of wordpress. A title box, a content box, and a tags field would pretty much cover it. Markdown support would be great, but optional.
3) Stability. I don't want to be nagged to upgrade every few days (only to have the upgrade break something so I have to spend an hour futzing around to fix it). I'm not afraid of slogging through some command-line config and install, but once it's up, I just want it to work.
4) Easy way to post links and embed media, in the same style as tumblr. A quick-post bookmarklet would be great, and if I pop in a youtube address, it would be awesome if it's smart enough to embed the video.
5) Some theme-ability would be nice. I'm not afraid of CSS and HTML and would like to be able to tweak the design a little (but again, I'm thinking simple here, so I don't need the wordpress-style infinite options for theming).
So what blogging platform am I looking for? I've been out of the loop for a while and would be grateful for pointers to the latest and greatest.