Why are all my eBay items selling for awful prices?
October 6, 2013 6:12 PM Subscribe
This only really started to get on my nerves lately, but i realized that every sale i've made in the past few months are closing for mostly
depressing prices. Occasionally i get a great price, but it's mostly crap...
posted by emptythought to computers & internet (27 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
To knock out all the obvious ones:
* I have a 100% positive feedback, and a decent amount of it for someone who isn't a super-duper-ultra-mega-powerseller. Around 100
* I've made plenty of sales, and my account is ancient by modern standards. It's from the mid 2000s
* I make a point of taking lots of good high quality photos, and on a glamorous looking desk at my work. I also clean everything really thoroughly and make a point just generally selling it as hard as i can with the photos, and writing proper descriptions.
* I list everything for 99 cents starting, but so do all the successful ones i see for similar/the same items.
* My shipping isn't high or unreasonable or anything, i ship stuff very economically.
I can go through the "recently sold" auctions and find tons of the same identical item, often in worse condition and/or just with awful photos(sometimes that are sideways too!) that sold for sometimes as much as 4-6x what mine did(for example, $30+ when mine went for $5. or $20 for something that regularly goes for $70-80)
For what it's worth, i sell almost entirely used tech stuff. I get lots of watches/views, and often a lot of bids... but they just peter out at a really tiresome level compared to the vast majority of other auctions out there i see for the same thing. I even see people with less feedback than me sell the same things for more.
Something i'm screwing up? Some glass ceiling of feedback i need to break through? Is it just luck of the draw?