I Need a New Job
September 25, 2013 10:04 PM Subscribe
I need a new job, and I have no idea what job I might be good at and enjoy. Please give me ideas for some jobs that I haven't thought of. I'm in my late 20s and working as a research analyst for a large firm, and I can't take the feeling that I'm not doing anything worthwhile (or even enjoyable) with my life. I'm not sure what to do. Do you know of any unconventional careers that might be a good fit? Please give me an idea of where to get started.
posted by anonymous to work & money (13 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite
After talking it through with my partner, here are some things that I am particularly talented at:
- Getting people across all walks of life to open up about themselves and things they're interested in.
- Asking questions and getting people to explain how things work
- Researching and finding arcane pieces of information
- Introducing people to each other
- Giving things the little bit extra to get them actually started - I co-founded a successful(ish) non-profit
- Event Co-Ordination, although I don't want this to be my everything
- Database management (both Access and a proprietary database), but I wouldn't want this to be my entire job.
Things I really love include:
- Talking to people
- Intersectionality - like where technology and art come together, or where digital and analog collide
- Blowing people's minds
- Introducing people to each other and to new things
- Getting people excited about things and ideas
- Political wonkery
- Listening to music
I'm not big on writing, although I can do it if I have to. I'd also rather not work in a corporation anymore. I'm looking for a job with a minimum of tedium, but I understand that every job is going to have a component of this. I just don't want it to be the entire job anymore. I don't want any job that makes me feel like I'm taking advantage of people.
Throw away email address: TimeForASock@gmail.com