Eclectic music Radio recommendations please!

Hey all, I'm looking for some listenable eclectic international music radio stations. I'm a rock/indie lover, but get bored listening exclusively to it like on BBC Radio 6 or Radio Paradise. Paris Radio FIP is great, but I'd like to vary things a bit and sometimes am not in the mood for jazz hour.

I know a bit of Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French so would welcome some stations from countries with these languages.

Like a lot:

FIP
Lifegate
Radar Lisboa (though a little too indie)

Like a bit:

Radio Paradise
BBC Radio 6
posted by letsgomendel to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 19 users marked this as a favorite

I really enjoy Radio P3 from Sweden. There are a bunch of different DJs with different programs archived and available for streaming. Music på svenska is, naturally, played quite a lot, but it's very eclectic and international (it was the first place I heard Kendrick Lamar and Macklemore, for instance). And, of course, Swedish music is really amazing itself.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 7:28 AM on September 11, 2013

Or Sweden!!!
posted by letsgomendel at 7:36 AM on September 11, 2013

If you like FIP, take a listen to Radio Nova from Paris. I love it, it melts into the background in such a pretty way - lots of world music, dubstep, reggae, everything really. It's less guitar-heavy than BBC 6 Music, so you may well enjoy it.

There's also FM4 in Austria - in English in the mornings European time, and German in the afternoons, with a fairly eclectic mix of music and interesting world news stuff during the English programmes. It's a bit 6 Music-ish, perhaps, though.

I'm a complete radio head, so I'll think of some others on the way home and put another answer up later. :)
posted by winterhill at 8:18 AM on September 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

CBC Radio 3 is awesome.

Morning Becomes Eclectic on KCRW is also really good.
posted by KokuRyu at 9:07 AM on September 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Seconding KCRW.
posted by Gusaroo at 9:09 AM on September 11, 2013

Thanks for introducing me to FIP. Apart from BBC6 Music you might also like BBC Radio 3's Late Junction.
posted by rongorongo at 2:11 AM on September 12, 2013

« Older What can I do to bond with my ...   |  No, not the hair that grows on... Newer »