iMac, Windows 7, and fan speeds
August 7, 2013 10:19 PM Subscribe
I have a 2008 24" iMac that I've used BootCamp to get Windows 7 running. Issue: the fans never come on.
posted by curious nu to computers & internet (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
This is documented around the web, and I use (and have used in the past, when I had this running XP) SMC Fan Control. My procedure is:
1) Turn SMC Fan Control on in OSX
2) Reboot into Windows (holding down Option on boot)
3) Now the fans will stay running until shutdown
If I don't do this, the top of the computer is physically painful to touch from the heat, which I figure.. can't possibly be good for anything. So I have a few questions:
1) Is this something to worry about?
1a) This is my only computer, it's a long time out of AppleCare, and I'd rather not have to buy a new computer right now
2) IF this is something I should be messing with, is there some better way to handle this?
2a) What fan speeds should I be aiming for? I can't set it to be temperature-based, it has to be a set RPM