iMac Mac OS and Windows 7

I just bought a new iMac for home. I use one at work(Boot camp Windows 7) with programs like Maya, After Effects, Premiere etc and love it. Now with one at home I would actually like to use both Mac and Windows OS but have a hard time deciding what software to put where... Can someone help me figure this out?

So...I want to stay with Windows for Maya, After Effects, and Premiere, but maybe use mac for all things music, movies, and maybe pictures? Please help me with ideas as to what the mac os is best for....what programs utilize the mac os? Any and all answers are highly appreciated... I know this question is a bit vague and leans towards personal preferences, but I would really like to know what people love using the mac for....
posted by matthelm to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

There are some weird things with the Mac dealing with MSC devices (e.g. generic .mp3 players). In essence, the Mac (and particularly Itunes) are for ipods. This irritates me. There are work-arounds for Spotlight and the fseventsd daemon that shouldn't be necessary. I favor Windows 7 for its willingness to deal with MSC devices. I view itunes as a disease, not a solution. Winamp on Windows 7 does what I wish itunes would do.

Parallels 6 hosting Windows 7 behaves just as native Windows 7 does in my experience, down to being able to fax remotely with my Canon multifunction machine. I'd imagine a Boot Camp installation of 7 would work at least as well.
posted by jet_silver at 7:48 PM on June 16, 2012

Seems to me that the entire point of using a non-Windows OS is to avoid the whole malware vs anti-malware arms race that Windows users have to deal with. So once you've committed to using Windows at all you might as well just use it for everything.

In my experience the Mac OS is best for locking you solidly into the Apple ecosystem. So if you already have other Apple devices, you might want to use OS X to handle all the supervisory and sync stuff that goes with them.

On ease of use grounds, though, for most people there's no longer much to prefer in OS X vs Windows 7. Just be careful with upgrades, though - the everything-is-a-phone brain worms have infected most of the industry's UI design teams and they will cause you grief if you're not expecting them.
posted by flabdablet at 8:06 PM on June 16, 2012

I use my Windows 7 partition for, among other things, running old programs I used to run on my XP machine, including the Adobe CS2 suite, Photoshop 7, Xara, Noiseware, my Olympus recorder software, my SIM-card reader software, and various other older software... I also keep all of my music on that partition—that's where my "master library" is in iTunes, since I used to have my music collection on my XP box and transferred over the library file, including all my ratings, etc., from there. I have iTunes on the Mac side, too, of course, so I keep that side's library synced with the Windows 7 side using SuperSync.
posted by limeonaire at 8:07 PM on June 16, 2012

Oh, and having tried it on both "sides" of my machine, I'm pretty sure that Diablo III is faster and less buggy on the Windows 7 side.

So you know, there are some quirks to Windows 7 on current Lion iMacs that you might run into; by default, for instance, the OS uses your iMac's light sensor for "adaptive brightness," which causes screen-brightness shifts on the basis of ambient light that can be kind of obnoxious. I turned off that "feature" in both Windows 7 and Lion. Another weird thing is that the brightness often gets stuck all the way up in Windows 7, even with AMD's latest beta Catalyst Control Center installed (I installed it specifically to try to fix that problem); logging in and out or sometimes restarting is needed. Catalyst Control Center does at least give you a way to adjust the brightness manually at times when you're working on something mission-critical, though, and don't want to log out.
posted by limeonaire at 8:19 PM on June 16, 2012

Agree with jet_silver about music. Windows 7 and OSX are pretty much interchangeable at this point, as they've borrowed the best ideas from each other over the years.

But the best music program for OSX, by far, is WinAmp run in Parallels. iTunes not only tries to force you into iPhone/Pod/Pad world in the kind of blatantly monopolistic approach that is apparently only illegal when MS does it, it's just a shitty music player. And there are no good native OSX alternatives.
posted by drjimmy11 at 8:23 PM on June 16, 2012

Having used Adobe's suite of applications on Windows, OSX, and Windows on OSX, I would reconsider running AE and Premere on Bootcamp. They run much faster and more reliably on the native os (OSX). They work best with all of the memory and processing power they can get. I believe Adobe will still allow you to change your license for free (I know they will if you're a monthly subscriber.)
posted by Ookseer at 12:21 AM on June 17, 2012

« Older Strange and traumatic dog biol...   |  A friend is in Hamburg, German... Newer »