A Gmail/Google/GTalk chat alternative
March 15, 2013 9:10 PM Subscribe
It's an old cry now - to get out of Google's claws. Mail, calendar and everything.
However, I always find one thing missing. Chat
is never talked about. As a matter of fact this one is the difficult most. You need to have added all those chat contacts and they in turn have had to added you(approved) you back, unlike email where you just need to fine an email and the receiver gets it unless you were specifically blocked.
So, let's discuss how to release our chatting app/service free from the claws of Google/Facebook/Skype &c and still be able to:
posted by amar to computers & internet (5 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
1. Be able to chat with Gmail contacts, Facebook(if possible) contacts and all others who(at least) are using the same protocols (AIM does it so I guess it can be done).
2. Have my transcripts saved the way it's done in GTalk - name, email, time stamp(each message sent in a chat)
3. (optional) Have video and audio call
4. This can be a service (paid/free) or self hosted
5. Supported by chat client(s)
6. Old stuff like chat transcripts and contacts can move with the account in case host etc are changed other than domain (I am not sure about this point and how it works, maybe someone with technical know how of XMPP or so will say it better)
7. Add if something is left out.