February 27, 2013 4:11 PM Subscribe
Next month, I will be travelling to Las Vegas. For the very first time in my life. I have a whole bunch of Vegas-newbie questions. I’d like to ask you for your help.
posted by jason's_planet to travel & transportation around Las Vegas, NV (28 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite
1. What will the weather be like in mid-March? Would a dip in the pool be comfortable?
2. What’s the best car rental spot in Las Vegas? Does it cost significantly more to rent a car with GPS?
3. What’s a good beginner-friendly poker room, preferably one with lower limits? I love poker but the unfortunate reality is that I haven’t played in years. I am not World Series material. Not at this point, at least. If it helps, the model I have in mind is the poker room at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City. Something like that.
4. For that matter, where can we find casinos that hit the sweet spot I’m looking for, that is – reasonably cheap gambling without being seedy or nasty?
5. What’s a good place to play Keno?
6. Where can we find sports book rooms with a wide range of events? Of particular interest would be sports rooms that allow you to gamble on UK football.
7. You know that place in Minnesota where you can drive a tank? And for a little bit extra, you can crush a car with said tank? Do they have a branch in Las Vegas? (This is a long shot, I know. But I thought it was worth a try.)
8. What neighborhoods should we avoid for safety/crime reasons? I live in NYC. I don’t own a car. Walking is my default mode of transportation. Where do I NOT want to be walking?
9. Where can I find a guide to the personality/vibe/crowd of various casinos? If it helps, both of us are middle-aged kind-of-sort-of bohemian nerds.
10. What is the etiquette of tipping dealers when you win? What’s the standard percentage?
11. If I find myself awake before noon, and not in the mood to gamble, where can I kick back with some good coffee and a decent pastry?
12. Where can I find good, cheap craps tables?
13. Tell me about the Las Vegas art scene. I understand that UNLV has a very good fine arts program. Where would I be able to see some good art by local artists? While I’m on the topic, which casinos have the best art?
14. Is Chinatown worth a visit? Are there any good restaurants?
15. Which of the local shooting ranges would you recommend? I'm looking for a beginner-friendly place with a good selection of weaponry.
16. What else should I know? Any other recommendations, advice, or Vegas-related opinions of any type would be most helpful.