Join 3,438 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Is there a Mac application available to convert .mp4 files to AVCHD?
February 21, 2013 8:33 PM   Subscribe

Is there a Mac application available to convert .mp4 files to AVCHD format? I'm trying to load videos on a USB stick to play on my blu-ray player. It is a Panasonic DMP-BD65. I seem to be running into the problem discussed in this thread, but the conversion software listed does not appear to have a Mac version and I can't seem to Google up a mac converter to do the same thing. Is there any way for me to make this happen?
posted by Drinky Die to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Here you go
posted by travis08 at 8:48 PM on February 21, 2013

just realized you want to got the other direction. I am not sure if it will do that.
posted by travis08 at 8:52 PM on February 21, 2013

MPEG streamclip will probably do this, but I haven't tested it.

(ffmpeg will probably do it too, but I'd start with MPEG streamclip...)
(...and this blog post has another alternative)
posted by pompomtom at 8:59 PM on February 21, 2013 [1 favorite]

It looks like Final Cut Pro can get you there.
posted by travis08 at 9:09 PM on February 21, 2013

I might need more detailed instruction if any of them can deliver, cause I downloaded and can't figure a way to get a playable file. Thanks for trying to help regardless.
posted by Drinky Die at 10:35 PM on February 21, 2013

Look up an app called Media Converter.
posted by victory_laser at 12:37 AM on February 22, 2013

Looks like AVCHD is H.264 video and AC3 audio in an MPEG-TS container. I don't have a Bluray player, but I was able to construct an ffmpeg (v1.0.4) command that created such a file. And mplayer/VLC played it back. Your luck may vary.
ffmpeg -i my-input-file.mp4 -vcodec libx264 -acodec ac3 -f mpegts my-output-file.mts

posted by sbutler at 12:45 AM on February 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Cool, sbutler has just saved me much typing (though, since the existing file is .mp4, simply remuxing the video may be a better option e.g. ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 …). However, there's a few other potential problems... Personally, having faffed around with this sort of shit over the years, I'd recommending spending the additional $90 or whatever on a new Blu-Ray or media player…
posted by Pinback at 1:20 AM on February 22, 2013 [3 favorites]

From What I understand as discussed in this handbrake forum post
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25949&p=119293&hilit=avchd#p119293

Its not so simple to create an avchd file for Blu-ray. You need to buy a program specifically for it because its not just a video file. its very sepcific
posted by majortom1981 at 3:34 AM on February 22, 2013 [1 favorite]

Marked as best answer for "get a new one" after messing around with the commands and not getting anywhere. I hate spending money rather than finding a technical solution but it just doesn't seem practical to do otherwise in this case. Thanks for trying!
posted by Drinky Die at 5:27 AM on February 22, 2013

« Older How typical are my mental stat...   |  People I talk to on Skype clai... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.