Induction v/s Cesarean- Pre-Eclampsia at 40 weeks
January 25, 2013 7:27 PM Subscribe
I have been diagnosed with the dreaded pre-eclamsia. Good news is that we are 40 weeks! Bad news- my cervix didn't get the memo. I am being induced on Monday. Given my 'unfavorable' cervix, should I ask for a c-section or go ahead with the induction. We had originally planned a natural water birth at a birthing center, but all of that is out the window now. I just want the least stressful situation for the baby (and me).
posted by MayNicholas to health & fitness (59 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I have severe pitting edema, way too much protein in my urine, sudden weight gain, and high for me blood pressure. Waiting it out past Monday is not an option. I am on bed rest for the weekend.
I was checked yesterday to see if I was dilated at all just in case we needed to induce (we were waiting for the 24 hr urine collection). Nothing. My midwife said my cervix was a little soft, but still high and closed. Baby is head down. The game plan is to force a foley bulb & cervadil then add pitocin once I have dilated to 4. The drip will be turned off once my body takes over contraction patterns.
I worry, given my 'unfavorable' cervix, that induction will not likely be successful. I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just ask for a c-section. My Dr. has no idea whether induction is likely to be successful. We are hoping for the best case, which would be labor starting on its own this weekend or at least some serious progress.
This is all so far away from the birth plan we had in mind, but we will not be messing around with pre-e!
I would love to hear pros/ cons/ personal experiences either way.