After ~37wks of baking, our Little Spark is soon to emerge. Sonogram last week shows breech, size estimates via same sonogram say ~8# so far. Doc is now advising/arranging scheduled C-section. I'm not sure it's the right thing. Can you help me determine if I should push back & how hard?
The pregnancy has otherwise progressed normally (perhaps even ideally). These are the potentially mitigating/complicating circumstances & other details...
• The weeks count might be somewhat off - first exam put estimated due date at 8/25, sonogram minutes later put it at 8/30. Doc is now going with the 8/25 date to base things upon. I'll find out this Friday (13th) why that changed, but it's a factor in her decision and it worries me - I may have nearly a full week for development "disappearing". How can I engage with her on this productively?
• She says breech babies at this stage rarely turn. I've found information that says differently
. Is she right?
• The size estimate might not be accurate. On same page as above, ultrasound estimates of baby size can apparently be in error.
Even if it is accurate, she's estimating ~9# at birth - that doesn't seem so unusual or huge (she has admitted she has no idea about my "pelvic capacity") as to call for C-section automatically...or does it?
• I'm overweight. This causes many OBs to do just what mine is doing: insist on C-sections
. I'm otherwise healthy, though - great BP, normal blood sugar, healthy heart.
• I'm almost 40.
• This pregnancy occurred with no medical intervention nor even specific intent. In fact, I spent 20yrs thinking it utterly impossible and had accepted adoption as my only option long ago.
Why I care:
• No one really wants unnecessary surgery. Aside from increased risk and cost, a few hormonal milestones won't be hit, making the start a bit more difficult (I'm thinking mostly of milk-related & uterine/ovarian issues and not so worried about attachment, as that's been proven to not matter as much).
• If I can give birth more naturally (albeit accepting I'm going to ask for pain management), I want that for me and the baby - this is my one and only biological child happening here, and I don't want to be rushed into a high-intervention birth unless completely necessary.