High quality home audio setup on the cheap?
January 21, 2013 3:07 PM Subscribe
I'm moving in March and have decided I would like to put together a nice, high-quality sound setup on the cheap based around a Class-T Amp. On a whim I picked up this one
for $16 and am now looking for advice on the other equipment.
posted by lattiboy to Technology (23 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I am clueless when it comes to this, so please bear with me.
I will have two sources of music:
1) My main source will be a galaxy S3 that I use with a paid Spotify subscription (320kbs downloaded tracks)
2) I'd like to try out vinyl.
- I'd like to try out vinyl, but I don't want to get sucked into a "collector k-hole" like I have been with cameras. Just a simple, cheap record player.
- What other equipment will I need for this? I know the phone has DAC built-in, but what about the record player?
- Apparently I need a pair of high-efficiency speakers.... I attempted to look for an inexpensive pair, but the world of audiophiles is strange and scary. I'd like to spend, say, $100 for a medium-sized pair? I don't know if that's a crazy low amount. Again, I'm in the dark here.
- The amp I got doesn't have a proper headphone jack, but obviously I can get an RCA-3.5mm adapter. Should I make considerations for using headphones other than that?
-Any other advice I should have entering this world?