My life runs smooth like a highway. Billboard, show me the way!
January 2, 2013 3:32 PM Subscribe
I have a semi-stable dead-end job that I'm not very satisfied with and no specific career goals, and it feels like a huge void. I don't want to (and realistically can't) do what I'm doing indefinitely. Given my likes and dislikes, help me identify a field I might enjoy and the next steps to take.
posted by Nomyte to Work & Money (18 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite
- using data to answer questions
- solving problems using computers
- continuous opportunities to learn
- becoming expert with a particular method or technology
- well-defined projects, objectives, and timelines
- working with small to moderately sized teams
finds very satisfying:
- sales and other things that require suave assertiveness
- consumer electronics
- fixing computers or wiring them together
- tightly scheduled days (appointments, sessions, etc.)
- corner-cutting, putting out fires, unplanned emergencies, sudden objective changes
- overcoming challenging problems (e.g., that moment when a tricky math proof becomes simple, when an algorithm starts working, when you finish a level in a strategy RPG without taking casualties)
- exploring how abstract systems work and interact
- BA in a soft (cognitive) science, 50 post-bac course credits in math/stats
- not opposed to more education/training, as long as it's funded
- 4.5 years of full-time work as a research assistant or tech in psychology and cognitive neuroscience and related areas
- intermediate user of Matlab, R, SPSS, lab software for MRI and experiment design
- putting together long, detailed FPPs
- reading world literature
- languages and translation
- children, oddly enough
- drawing and sketching
- creative writing
- recently, I've been fooling around with problems on Rosalind.info
I'd like to make significant progress this year. Many thanks for your suggestions!
I need to make a career change. This is obvious both to me and to all the many Mefites that have given me this advice in the past. I really have no idea how or in what direction, and no role models to rely on. I am posting my question in this format on the advice of a Mefite. Here is what's wrong with my current job.