domestic paper towels.
Proper housekeeping habits weren't really part of my upbringing. And I've lived outside of my parents home for more than 15 years now (and owned my house for 8! of that) but I still feel like there is stuff that I just haven't figured out how to do. I'm trying to get back into the habit of staying on top of cleaning tasks (especially in the kitchen), which is good, but I'm realizing that my kitchen habits are probably kind of wasteful.
When I clean the counters, I spray with lysol, let it sit for a bit, then wipe up with a paper towel, which then gets thrown away. On the one hand, I love the "thrown away" part because I never have to see the icky again, but on the other hand it makes me feel bad.
I've seen and read about people using "kitchen towels" do to this clean-up, but I have questions:
1. What kind of "towels" do you use? I have dishtowels, that I use for drying hands/dishes, but I feel like those aren't for cleaning counters and floors.
2. What do you do with the soiled towels? Do you keep a special hamper in the kitchen somewhere to store them? How often do you wash them? The thought of bringing icky kitchen towels to my bedroom hamper squicks me out, as does the thought of having them festering around for a week (which is about as often as I can see myself doing laundry, tbh).
3. How many kitchen towels do you own? How many would you recommend for my family of 2 humans? Do I need to go out and buy a 48 pack of microfiber towels or something? Where do you store the clean ones? I feel like part of my problem here is never feeling like I have enough "critical mass" to wash a load of kitchen towels, so they sit around forever and become this gross dried mass which is easier to toss than to try to clean.
4. Related to 2. and 3. Do you wash your kitchen towels with your bathroom towels? That just seems gross to me (and a good way to transfer horrible tomato sauce stains to my nice bathroom towels)
5. Are there any magic secrets to washing these things besides bleach+detergent+hotwash/cold rinse? Should I be presoaking in ammonia or anything?
I've seen this question
, but the answers there seemed to focus more one what products to use than on how to manage the towel workflow.