Advice for a crowdfunding project from a dictatorship?
December 4, 2012 9:55 AM Subscribe
What would you want to see in a crowdfunding campaign from a pro-democracy activity in a dictatorship?
posted by k8t to society & culture (5 answers total)
I'm helping some friends set up a crowdfunding campaign.
They run a 2x/week TedX-style lecture series (sort of framed as an alternative/supplement to university lectures) in a dictatorship. They also have movie nights and a book club. The topics vary but usually relate to democracy, human rights, women's equality, law, philosophy, economics etc. The lectures are pretty popular both in-person and online. Their Facebook page generates a lot of discussion.
This is kind of amazing given that they're in a dictatorship in which there is almost no room for public political discussion.
Their funding (from international donors) is running out this year and I suggested that crowdfunding might work for them. They need about US$200,000/year to operate.
- they have a good budget
- they have good mission statement, vision, justification, etc.
- they have some metrics on attendance, hits, etc.
- they have a BEAUTIFUL website
- but only the main parts of the website are in English (they know that they need to translate more and subtitle some of the better lectures)
- the people that run it are well known pro-democracy advocates in their dictatorship, speak excellent English, are tech savvy, have strong personal and organizational social media presences etc.
- Some testimonies from people that go to the lectures about what the lectures do for them - which are subtitled in English
- they're not registered as an NGO because that would actually endanger them more
Given this, what would be the most compelling crowdfunding campaign for foreigner funding this worthy effort?
- Links to a good summary of how much of a dictatorship their country is, with some evidence on the crowdfunding page itself
- A good statement of need for these lectures in this particular society
- Maybe play up the reality of how dangerous/provocative/brave it is that they're doing this?
- Link to an audit of their organizational finances to show that they're not skimming (and maybe some evidence that they've been funded by foreign organizations and governments in the past)
But for you all -
- what would make this compelling for you to fund it?
- how would you frame the marketing on the crowdfunding site for this?
- how would you promote this campaign?
- what sort of evidence would you want to see?
- what would be good "perks" for this sort of crowdfunding? It'd be hard to do much more than "thank yous."
I'm happy to provide links to their website and testimony video if it would help.