I Wasn't Sent by the Agency, Sir: Hiring an Independent House Cleaner?
October 31, 2012 1:17 PM Subscribe
Help me hire an independent house cleaner.
posted by small_ruminant to home & garden (19 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I have moved in with my fiance, who leaves a trail of destruction throughout our very small house. I knew this going in, and I don't expect him to change his ways. So... a house cleaner!
* I would like someone who's independent.
* I would like someone who's legal (I have heard enough static from folks in my circle about how this makes me a terrible racist, so it's okay to skip that, if you please).
* I would like someone who speaks some English. I intend to learn Spanish (we're literally the only Anglos on the block) but I haven't learned it yet.
* I think I would like someone who's bonded.
I have been calling people off of yelp, because I don't know where else to look. My friends use agencies or illegals.
I am not a member of Angie's List and would prefer not to pay for a membership.
Our house is less than 1000 sq ft and it's over-cluttered and will be for quite a while, because we've combined two households into one, and things haven't sifted into their place or out the door yet.
I don't mind tidying, but I am completely tired of the endless floor cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting (OMG the dusting!). It's amazing how filthy a tiny house can get after only a few days, probably because we live on a relatively busy street, wear our shoes in the house (this also will not change), leave the doors and windows open, and own a domestic shorthair shedding machine. Add to that plaster from some minor renovations, and we're looking at a LOT of dusting, sweeping and vacuuming for the foreseeable future. I hate it. But I also hate living in it.
Here are my questions:
1) Does anyone in Richmond,California or nearby have someone they can recommend?
2) Do I need them to be bonded? If so, and if they say they are, how do I double check it?
3) How do I know if they're legal? And if I submit a name to whatever agency, will I be getting them in trouble? I don't want to narc on anyone who's illegal, (really, I don't.) I just want my cleaner to be legal.
4) What's all this about FICA and FUTA? If someone comes by once or twice a month for 2 hours do I need to worry about it? I don't mind writing up a 1099 at the end of the year for someone, but I am not interested in dealing with withholding or anything.
5) What's a reasonable amount of money? The first person I called charges $150 for two hours. That seems high to me, but maybe I don't need two hours?
6) How does tipping work?
7) Anything else I should be thinking about?