Moving to Austin. What next?
October 9, 2012 8:06 AM Subscribe
My partner and I plan to move to Austin, Texas, in January. We’re looking for recommendations about neighborhoods, information about the housing market, or any other useful information.
posted by maurreen to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
Traits of our ideal area, in no particular order:
* Bicycle friendly.
* Close to transit lines.
* Funky and weird.
* In the city limits.
* Mix of people, such as different ages.
* Relatively cohesive neighborhood.
* Relatively quiet (I am hypersensitive with sounds).
* Has stuff within walking distance … for instance, grocery store, pool, park, library and restaurants within about a mile.
Early 50s women. No kids. Three cats and a dog. We have a variety of interests, but not spectator sports. Two cars, but we’d like to use them less. No jobs lined up yet. I might work in journalism or government, but am also interested in coworking.
Looking for two or three bedrooms at a moderate price. Expect to live there the rest of our lives. Plan to buy a home but might rent for about six months first. Open to different types of housing (such as condos, townhouses, mobile homes, cohousing) but probably not apartments.
We live in a small town in a house with 1,700 square feet. It has three bedrooms and 1.75 baths. The house was bought for $140K six or seven years ago. Last year, it was appraised at $180K. We hope to sell it for $160K to $175K.
* Are there any areas you recommend?
* Are there any areas we should avoid?
* How does the housing market compare?
* Where is the “gay ghetto”?
* Are there any neighborhood newspapers?
* Is there anything else we should know?