In sickness and in health
October 2, 2012 11:58 PM Subscribe
What are your expectations for your boyfriend/girlfriend caring for you when you get sick with a cold?
posted by 3491again to Human Relations (49 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I have a lot of issues around feeling cared for because my parents were neglectful and abusive.
They were pretty awful when I needed help as a child -- letting me sit in my own vomit, for example. Or not getting me glasses when my eyesight was so poor I couldn't see the blackboard at school.
Now I'm dating someone seriously and I'm not sure what to expect. We've been together for almost a year, are very close, but don't live together. We've had super serious conversations about the future.
At the moment, I'm not super sick, but I have a stuffed up nose and low fever. He's across town at his parents' house. I know he'd be there for me if I went to the hospital or needed crutches or something, but I'm not sure how to handle minor health issues.
So, Mefites in happy, healthy relationships, how does this work for you?
- Do you ask your SO for help? Do they just offer?
- Do they rush across town if you have a cold?
- How do they help you? What do they specifically do?
- What are reasonable expectations for help with minor things?
- Do you have issues like mine related to being cared for? How did you get over them and learn what was appropriate to ask for as far as help?