Sinking while trying to complete undergrad
August 10, 2012 2:10 AM Subscribe
Hi all. I've seen questions touching on similar points but none that really pinned down the more important particulars of my own situation, so here goes nothing.
I'm a twenty two year old student now in what will be my sixth year of undergrad. I got to this point because, after my first two years went rather swimmingly, I suddenly fell pray to a mystery syndrome, complete with crushing, unrelenting mental fogginess, high anxiety and severe depression. My life has become an obsession with trying to find a cure for whatever this is, (medication for depression, therapy, supplements, sleep studies, hypnosis, meditation, lifestyle changes, etc. Nothing has worked and so I won't bore you with the details here.
My problem is really my current standing in school. What was once a shining record with a 3.6 gpa and distinctions is now a narrative of consistent failure and I need to know where to go from here and most importantly, how to do damage control.
posted by marsbar77 to education (36 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I started college as a psychology major and did well ( As and Bs) for my first two and a half years. I was reasonably on track with my extra curriculars and my professors generally loved me. I could bang out A-quality essay in a matter of hours and I was doing okay socially.
Two years later, everything started to freefall. VERY long story short: I have now:
-Ruined my relationships with all of my professors
- Asked for an incomplete for most the classes taken the past five semesters and here I sit with a majority of them either unfinished or turned to Fs
- Been refused help from Disability Support services at my school, instead being referred back to the professors
-Lost any hope for ever getting into a graduate program, much less medical school ( my original plan)
My gpa is now below a 2.6 and I see no end in sight- only more I's, F's, long, apologetic emails to professors and more embarassment ( Oh I'll have that for you by the end of next month!")
I'm literally drowning- I can't even respond to emails from my school anymore, just because I'm SO ashamed at this point.
I've been overtaken by anxiety and I've lost all motivation to continue anything.
A bit about me:
- I have cerebral palsy (a neuromuscular disorder), so DSS should be more assuredly on my side
- I've discussed taking a leave of absence with my parents- they just won't have it ( waste of time and a risk of my not going back). They're old fashioned Romanians with a big thing about pride as well.
- I can't take ADD medication ( high blood pressure), nor do I think I actually have ADD.
What do I do to get my life back in order? Can I save any of the past six years and ever be successful?
Sorry if this was messy and unfocused- needed to get everything out and this is my first MeFi question. Ask if you need any more details. Thanks all :)